Monday 26 April 2021

Space Dwarf

Having built my Space Devils the other week, I was still in the mood for kitbashing with the new Stargrave sprues. Fortunately, the sample Crew sprue had arrived, so I had even more options to play with!

I love Dwarves in Fantasy, and I love Space Dwarves in Sci-Fi. Normally, I'm not interested in 'Fantasy in Spaaaace', but there's something about Dwarves that transcends that. Perhaps it's the 'dour engineer' stereotype meshing so well with the classic Fantasy Dwarf stereotype. Whatever it is, I have no problem with Space Dwarves even though I might scoff at Space Elves/Orcs/Goblins/etc.

I've been sat on a box of GW's Kharadron Overlords Arkanauts for quite some time, without really having any plans for them - I like their boiler-suited look, and some of them aren't overloaded with bits, pieces, gubbins, and skulls. All told, a cracking starting point for a more industrial Space Dwarf. To this, I added one of my favourite heads from the Ghost Archipelago Crew sprue (the last time I used this particular head, I managed to mangle an ear... happily, I avoided that this time!). The arms are both off the Stargrave Crew sprue - I've been waiting to use this shotgun since I saw the digital renders! This was the trickiest part of the kitbash. While the separate supporting arms make porting across to different kits easier, the Arkanaut body is very wide, and the flat surfaces where the arms attach slope in towards the chest. I had to flatten those surfaces out a bit, and actually used a different supporting arm than the one intended for use with that particular shotgun. A little slicing and filing, and the judicious application of polystyrene cement, and it's worked out pretty well!

Incredibly chuffed with this guy, and looking forward to getting him painted up!

***
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment