Monday 28 February 2022

Heavy Lads

So it goes again - back to models after a long layoff. In between a few smaller ideas (which I hope will grace this blog soon), I have revisited the Nameless Army, adding a bit more weight to the force in the form of five heavy infantry.
Unlike the standard Nameless Army troops, who are fairly stock models from the Fireforge Northmen kits, these chaps are made from a fairly eclectic mix of parts. The legs and arms are from the Fireforge kits, but the torsos are from GW Greatswords with the skulls and wreaths on the breastplates filed off. These parts didn't mesh up especially well - the GW torsos are designed to sit on much more narrow-hipped legs, so I carved back the hip area on the legs to blend them in a little better. The join between the two was still a little severe, so I added some tassets repurposed from the Van Saar gang shoulder-pads to help balance out the two elements. Only one of the tassets ended up wonky, so I ensured that it was covered by a tightly held shield arm.
Very wonky tasset at bottom right. Slightly less wonky tassets everywhere else.

The heads came from Anvil Industry's Daughters of the Burning Rose. Though intended for Gothic SF, these visored barbutes are perfect for Fantasy and fit nicely alongside the helmets worn by the rest of the force (they also have hooded versions if I ever want to do something more Templar-y). I did need to do a bit more carving to enlarge the neck sockets on the Greatsword torsos and, as the heads are resin and I wasn't convinced by the contacts between the elements, I pinned all of them in addition to super-gluing.
They're not perfect, and the smalls of the back still attest to the fairly significant size different between the tops of the legs and the bottoms of the torsos, but I'm pretty happy with them! Once painted, they will add a much-needed bit of hitting power to the Nameless Army, lending support to the single five-man unit of swordsmen I currently have.

***
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment