Tuesday 23 April 2019

Grandmaster Flash

Over the long Easter weekend, I got the hobby itch and painted up the Grandmaster to accompany the recently painted Templars for the Choleric Order of the Yellow Bile.
The model is Ramsay Snow/Bolton from CMON's A Song of Ice & Fire miniatures game, and is, quite honestly, a beautiful sculpt. Not just for a board game mini either. It's just a cracking sculpt with huge amounts of character (just look at that smirk!). The only question I would have is why he's wearing a heavy gauntlet on just one hand... This might be down to the model being assembled from a number of parts, but there seems to be a definite wrist, and other painted versions I've seen tend towards a bare hand.

Despite the quality of the sculpt, the quality of the model left something to be desired. It had flash and seam lines everywhere. I know such figures tend towards such issues, and the material can make them somewhat tricky to deal with, but I've never come across one this awkward to clean up. Perhaps it was this particular model or casting, or perhaps it was simply due to the stark contrast with the detail of the sculpt. In hindsight, I wish I'd taken a 'before' photo.

Anyway, once the cleaning was done (mostly... I found a few bits I'd missed during the painting process), the painting was a doddle. Nice, deep details, for the most part, the two exceptions being the hilt of his sword (victim of a seam line running the length of it - the hilt of his dagger suffered likewise, so got the chop) and the chainmail loincloth, the edges of which blend into the trousers a bit much. These minor quibbles aside, I got this guy painted in a day (then basing, varnishing, etc. over the rest of the weekend).
He's a big old boy, standing about half a head taller than the Templars he will end up commanding. He does lack a hood, but that doesn't bother me massively as the Cult Magisters are already bare-headed, and the rank-and-file cultists will be as well.
So, all told, a model I didn't much enjoy working with, but one I'm rather happy with now it's done!

Already built and awaiting painting are the first six of what I hope will eventually be 18 cultists (to be joined by the two Magisters to form two units of ten). After that? Well, I've got a few ideas...

The Choleric Order of the Yellow Bile...

...and friends...


*** 
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

2 comments:

  1. Great addition to the force. The paint job really ties the figures together, so that the size-variation doesn't seem out of place. He's just a big dude!

    ReplyDelete