Tuesday 30 May 2023

Rats!

Every good plague cult needs a swarm of vermin. It is known. I've had a bunch of these Anvil Industry rats knocking around for a long time, just waiting for some attention. Well, over the long weekend, they finally got it! 

I chose to mount them on individual 25mm bases, rather than on larger 40/50mm bases to better match the rest of the army... jury's still out on whether that was the right idea, but I can honestly say that I'm not painting up any more rats for a while! 

They're lovely sculpts, with plenty of variety in the set - some groups, some individuals, some up on rubble, etc. - and nice, sharp details that take well to my wash-heavy approach. The only issue I had painting them was the low profile meant handling them was a little awkward, especially when it came to varnishing and finishing the bases. I might need to invest in a proper painting grip or handle or something.

The low profile also seems to make photographing them a challenge, especially with my limited skills in that field. They could do with a re-shoot soon, along with some of the earlier models on this blog - while my painting hasn't improved substantially, my photo set-up has and I can definitely do better than the muddy brown photos of the Poxwalkers and the Plaguetouched (it's the photos, not the paintjobs - honest!).


***
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment