Wednesday 15 November 2023

Standard Troops

Hot on the heels of the recent reinforcements for the Choleric Order of the Yellow Bile, I polished off a couple more cult models that have been waiting for ages for a paintjob.

A while back, I realized that my force were looking more militant than I wanted from my cult, so I built a couple of banner bearers to add more of a processional feel (and to add nice focal points to units!).

First up, a banner for the Faithful - thus filling out that unit to a full 20. This was built from - surprise, surprise - Fireforge's Living Dead Peasants, with a banner from some GW kit or another (Skaven, maybe?). The banner-pole was replaced with a wire pike, clipped to an appropriate length.

Yes, the fact that the banner is following the line of the pole and not the dictates of gravity annoys me... but not enough to prevent me from getting it painted!

Added to a unit, I reckon she looks good!
Next up, a banner for the Templars. While the Faithful's banner is relatively modest in size (some might say "sensibly sized"), this one is... objectively too big. I was genuinely concerned that it would not actually stay upright (the metal base isn't the most substantial of counterweights!), but it seems to have held together. Like the other banner, this is from a GW kit - I'm guessing Ogre Kingdoms by the size and the fact that there are random rocks tied to it - and had the banner-pole replaced with a wire pike. The bearer, like the previous Templars, is Oathmark Human Infantry with a head from the Frostgrave Cultists kit.

Both these models (the Templar one especially) reminded me of why I dislike painting yellow. On a small scale (the Templar cowls, a spot colour on a cultist's clothing, etc.), it's fine, but on bit sections like this, it just doesn't suit my wash-heavy style. Still, brown wash makes everything better (if not good), and I'm just about happy with it).
I'm not currently sure what insignia or emblems I want on the banners... I might not want any, with the 'purity' of the yellow sheets representing the 'purity' of the Yellow Bile itself... or I might just not have had the right idea yet. I might go back and apply some transfers... but I will not be attempting free-hand!

I kind of want more banners now. And some musicians...

*** 
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment