Sunday 2 June 2019

From The Vault: Arabian Nights

Most of the time, the figures I paint never actually see combat on the tabletop. Once in a while, though, a game clicks, and drives a remarkable (for me, anyway) level of productivity. Going back a fair few years, that game was Song of Blades and Heroes from Andrea Sfiligoi and Ganesha Games.

Andrea is a fantastic designer, and I'm really proud to have worked with him on various games – and it all started with SoB&H. It really hit most of my buttons. Use whatever figures you like? Build your units from scratch? Play in a lunchbreak? Yes please and thank-you.
These guys were my first, and most-fielded warband for SoB&H, a nicely Arabian Nights-themed force, consisting of a wicked sorcerer, two guards, two ghuls, an assassin, and an efreet. This line-up definitely reflects my views on warband creation!
Assassin & Guards
The guards and the assassin are all Reaper figures, from one of their themed boxes (Legends of the Sands or something). Nice models, as always!
Efreet
The efreet is a D&D pre-paint, given a new paintjob. It's a cool figure, but I learned a valuable lesson from this model: always cut the figure off the base that it comes with. Almost invariably, the bases are warped to a degree (I've found this to be much more common with larger figures than smaller ones), giving them a tendency to wobble. Much better to slice them off with a scalpel blade and re-base them on a metal washer with superglue and a bit of green stuff.
The Vizier, flanked by two Ghuls
The sorcerer/vizier is another Reaper model, from the same kit as the guards and assassin, while the two ghuls are ghouls from Crocodile Games' Wargods of Aegyptus line. It's rare to see such bestial ghouls as these, and I'd forgotten how much I liked them. Hmm... perhaps a certain cult needs some new recruits...


*** 
Disclaimer: All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

1 comment: