Thursday 4 June 2020

Two Horse!

Following on from the previous batch of three cavalry, I have just finished the final two in this little unit of five. As the 20-day gap between the batches shows, I really don't like painting cavalry. Halfway through painting these last two, I got frustrated and built, based, and primed ten light infantrymen to accompany The Nameless Army (more on those later). Still, the horsemen are done now, and I can't see myself adding any more any time soon. Well... maybe a commander...
Trooper (L) and Officer (R)
Here, then, are the final mounted trooper and the officer for the unit. The officer has the now-familiar shoulderpad on his right arm. In the absence of sufficient 'reins-holding' arms (per my previous post about the cavalry kit), the left arms are those I snagged from the other kits. None of the options I had came even vaguely close to looking like they were holding the reins, so this was the pick of a poor bunch. I'm not entirely displeased with them, however - again, I think happiness at having completed this unit is trumping my usual fussiness!

Paint-wise, I opted for two dark brown horses to accompany the various greys I'd done previously. Nothing special, really - dark socks/stockings on one, and a grey/white on the other.
Much as I moan about cavalry, I have to admit that they do look pretty impressive when all is said and done.

Right. Enough horse nonsense... back to the footsloggers! While painting may have paused, productivity did not, and I put this bunch together over a lazy Sunday.
The bodies and arms are from Fireforge's Folk Rabble kit, while the helmets and shields are spares from the various other kits in the range. While the clothing shows slight variation, the helmets are distinct and really tie the unit together (plus, I'll likely give them a more uniform paintjob). The one exception is the unit's officer, who was built entirely from spare parts from the more military-looking kits. He does seem a good bit taller than the rabble he leads, which I kind of like. Unlike the existing officers, he did not get a shoulderpad - I figured that, amongst the light infantry, simply having the armour of a regular infantryman was enough distinction.

25 models painted, 10 more built... and I'm not sick of painting them yet!

***
Disclaimer:
All links to third-party sites are solely for the purposes of sourcing the products I have discussed, if anyone is so inclined. I have simply linked to the original manufacturer or the source I used (but feel free to shop around!) and make no money from people clicking through.

No comments:

Post a Comment